Minnesota Salvage Title

In the state of Minnesota, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your automobile is in an accident. If your insurance claims the total loss or the word salvage has been stamped on the title, it is illegal to operate your vehicle on any road in Minnesota. What this means is that your original registration on your vehicle has been cancelled, and you'll need to remove your plates off your automobile.

If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a MN Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways. Please note that your vehicle can't be re-titled until it passes a Salvage Inspection.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DVS related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DVS in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DVS.

3: Via a DVS office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DVS office. Varying DVS offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DVS closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DVS allows you to make a personal appointment.

Minnesota Salvage Titles

In the state of Minnesota, a vehicle is deemed a total loss by an insurance company if repairing or rebuilding the vehicle is 70 percent or more of the market value as determined by your insurance company. Once claimed as a total loss, your salvaged vehicle will be assigned a MN Salvaged Title. Your salvaged vehicle must be rebuilt or restored and pass inspection before it can be registered to be driven on the highways.

To learn more about Minnesota Salvage Titles, read below:

Minnesota Salvage Vehicle Inspection

Before applying for a Minnesota Vehicle Salvage Certificate of Title, your vehicle must first receive a Minnesota salvaged vehicle inspection. Your salvaged vehicle inspection must be conducted by a DVS Inspection Specialist. For contact information, go to dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/pages/default.aspx or call 651-297-2126.

You will need to bring the following to the inspection:

  • Salvage title (if you applied for title before the inspection)
  • Completed Declaration of Reconstruction form
  • Original receipts for any major parts replaced

When all these steps are complete and your salvaged vehicle passes inspection, the paperwork can be submitted to your local Deputy Registrar office.

From a Minnesota Salvage Rebuilt Title to Regular Vehicle Title

To apply for a Minnesota Vehicle Title for your salvaged automobile, you'll need to go in person to your local Minnesota Department of Public Safety Drivers and Services branch (DVS). You must have the following documents with you:

  • Current Minnesota Salvage Title (if one was issued)
  • Completed Affidavit of Reconstruction form
  • All the original receipts for all replaced parts, and your salvage inspection paperwork.

When these steps are completed, the vehicle will receive either a Prior Salvage or Clear Minnesota Title.

Once a MN Salvage Certificate of Title has been issued, you can then apply for a MN Vehicle Title to drive it. Just go to your local DVS office location and bring with you:

  • Salvage Certificate
  • Safety inspection paperwork
  • Bill of sale
  • Odometer statement
  • Driver's license
  • Proof of valid insurance

Once you provide the required information to the MVS, you can fill out a MN Vehicle Title Application.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Minnesota

An abandoned vehicle title in Minnesota can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle and title it, the vehicle must first be reported to local Minnesota law authorities who will investigate and try to contact the owner. If the owner does not come forward within 60 days, you may file for a MN Title and/or Registration.

To see if the vehicle you're trying to claim falls under these guidelines, please visit your local Minnesota DVS office.